RARA-AVIS: Re: Aussie slang? OT

From: Eric Chambers ( nqexile@yahoo.com.au)
Date: 20 Jan 2008

  scatalogic@aol.com wrote > Many thanks Steve, you're errr, fair dinkum a fine cobber and
> don't cheat at cricket... :o)

Language is very dynamic and changes all the time.

Almost nobody uses cobber anymore. (Unfortunately in my opinion - I have a farmer friend who greets me with 'G'day Cobb! drawled slowly through a big grin.Always makes my day!)

Don't Cheat at Cricket?

No, but we do play the game hard, -take no prisoners-, some say too hard.
  Hoon comes from Hooligan and means pretty much the same thing. Its a negative tag.Through media usage it has been applied recently to street racers and drivers with Boom Boxes.

PetrolHead is non-judgmental, just means someone who has an over-the-top love of cars.
(Anybody who watches Top Gear regularly [Hugely popular out here] is by definition a petrolhead.)

Peter Corris has a second character 'Browning P.I.' who works similiar territory to Stuart Kaminsky's 'Toby Peters'. Corris has written two other series and more besides.

 http://www.petercorris.net/fiction.html

Onya! is current Australian Slang.

And that's the good oil for today!

--------------------------------- Make the switch to the world's best email. Get the new Yahoo!7 Mail now.