Re: RARA-AVIS: Noir and Redemption

From: Nathan Cain ( IndieCrime@gmail.com)
Date: 19 Jan 2008

Yeah, my initial reaction is that he seems to be overreaching with his thesis. It's interesting that you mention the Hays Code, which was lobbied for and implemented by Catholic decency crusaders. I googled Hibbs and found out he's a professor at Baylor (a Baptist University), but he's written for Crisis magazine, which is a conservative Catholic magazine. It could be that Hibbs looks at classic noir and sees his values reflected in it because people who shared his values had final approval over the films. I'll be curious to see if that's addressed in the book.

There's a pretty good excerpt from a book on the Hays code in this month's Reason magazine, if anyone's interested:

http://www.reason.com/news/show/123518.html