RARA-AVIS: Re: RIP Edward D. Hoch...

From: foxbrick ( foxbrick@yahoo.com)
Date: 17 Jan 2008

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "Ron Clinton" <clinton65@...> wrote:

> Just saw on another list that Ed Hoch has passed away. A
shame...he was a
> terrific short-story author. Few have been able to make short
stories work
> for them as a career; he was one of a select few.

Yes, this is a blow...I met him once, at the 2001 BoucherCon, just after 9/11 and not too far from the Pentagon. None of that dampened his ebullience nor charm, and I gather from Bill Crider's site http://billcrider.blogspot.com/2008/01/ed-hoch-r-i-p.html that he was pretty consistently publicly in that mode, a genuinely nice guy as well as a remarkably fecund talent.

And even if he'd never written anything other than "The Oblong Room," he'd be worth noting here.

Todd Mason