RARA-AVIS: Miker--A personal remembrance

From: Jack Bludis ( buildsnburns@yahoo.com)
Date: 12 Jan 2008

Miker flew into Baltimore more than once in the past few years, and on two occasions I had the privilege of breaking bread with him, once on my birthday when I chose to escape from a family get-together to talk books.

We talked nothing but rara-avis and its subjects, except for the time we went to Fells Point, a tourist attraction and somewhat of a Right of Passage for local as well as out-of-state college students.

I remember that time particularly, because we had a beer in three different bars while he looked for a gift T-shirt for his then and perhaps still, teen-age daughter.

I think the first time I saw him, he was relatively new at hard boiled and noir but had already become an aficionado and went on to learn more about it than I ever knew.

I'm having a Hillery Clinton moment here--tearing up just a little--

It's hard to believe.

I wish his family well, and for Miker...God's Speed, you will be missed.

As to his name, "Miker." He told me it was to differentiate him from all the "Mikes" in the world.

Jack Bludis

      ____________________________________________________________________________________ Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now. http://mobile.yahoo.com/;_ylt=Ahu06i62sR8HDtDypao8Wcj9tAcJ