RARA-AVIS: Sale and Henderson

From: Juri Nummelin ( juri.nummelin@pp.inet.fi)
Date: 12 Jan 2008

Jsbuturn,

I notice that you mention MR. BOWLING BUYS A NEWSPAPER by Donald Henderson and LAZARUS #7 by Richard Sale. Those are some of the books that Chandler mentions having had fun reading in his essay
"The Simple Art of Murder". I've always been intrigued by the little list in Chandler's essay, but never enough to try to locate the books.

You might want to try Sale's NOT TOO NARROW, NOT TOO DEEP (1936) that's both a hardboiled adventure and a religious allegory. It's quite strong in both counts.

As for other forgotten hardboiled masters, I'd suggest you try Floyd Mahannah who was pretty early deconstructing some of the cliché³ of the P.I. novels. I've also like very much some novels by Richard Deming and Walt Sheldon.

Juri http://pulpetti.blogspot.com