RE : Re: RARA-AVIS: Manchette (was:Paul Meskil and others - lesser known but equally good hard boiled writers)

From: E. Borgers ( webeurop@yahoo.fr)
Date: 09 Jan 2008

Mark,

  The title you question as Manchette's translated, is in fact the title given to the original novel in French (LE PETIT BLEU DE LA COTE OUEST), literally translated. In French it's a play of word referring to the English and to the the jazz style. So it's the same book as "Three to Kill", that in English I know only with this last title.

  E.Borgers
  POLAR NOIR
  http://www.geocities.com/polarnoir/

DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net a 飲it :
          Robert suggested:

"Just a few: "Low Bite" by Sin Sorocco; "Falling Angel" by William Hjortsberg; "A Little West-Coast Blues" by Jean-Patrick Manchette."

Does this mean another Manchette has been translated into English? I can't say enough good about his Three to Kill and Prone Gunmen.

Is Low Bite Sorocco's first, with the main character getting out of jail? It was okay, but I don't remember a whole lot else and never went on to the next (Edge City?).

If we're recommending relatively recent authors who are off the beaten path, let me add Jack O'Connell (when's his new book comng out?).

Mark