Re: RARA-AVIS: Ross Macdonald short story collection

From: Jeff Vorzimmer ( jvorzimmer@austin.rr.com)
Date: 06 Jan 2008

> I'm desperately trying to find the 1955 2nd printing of THE NAME IS
> ARCHER from Bantam Books. In Matthew J. Bruccoli's excellent
> bibliography from Pittsburgh University Press, he noted the existence
> of this book, but, had not examined a copy (I've been in touch with
> him, but, he can't recall at this late date the circumstances of his
> noting this entry). He may have assumed its existence based on
> Bantam's printed history in the 1966 edition of THE NAME IS ARCHER,
> which is listed as the 3rd printing. A paperback dealer friend thinks
> he may have seen or handled a 2nd printing, but, isn't 100% positive.
> The literary executor of the Millar estate has never seen a copy.

Does it have the same cover as the first printing? My copy is a fourth and has a different cover and shows the date of the second printing as March 1955. I doubt there was a Canadian only printing, it's more likely to have been a smaller print run.

Great job on the cover. It caught my eye. I design CD covers myself, but I often thought I'd like to do a book jacket.

Regards, Jeff

Jeff