RARA-AVIS: Re:THE CHINATOWN DEATH CLOUD PERIL

From: Shannon Clute ( clute@noircast.net)
Date: 05 Jan 2008

Hi Mark,

I'm glad you called everyone's attention to this novel. As you mentioned, it isn't "hard-boiled," but will probably still interest many readers here because it is a wonderful throwback pulp tribute.

My podcasting partner Rich Edwards and I interviewed Paul, and he talked at some length about his use of fact versus fiction as he set real-life pulp writers in adventures of his own making. If you'd like to download that interview (it's a free podcast)--or our interviews other wonderful hard-boiled writers like Megan Abbott, Charles Ardai, Allan Guthrie, Reed Farrel Coleman, Duane Swierczynski, or Max Allan Collins--you can visit http://btbm.libsyn.com/ You can also search for the podcast by show title ("Behind the Black Mask: Mystery Writers Revealed") at iTunes.

I hope people with take the time to read Malmont. Not as heart-wrenching as a Block or a Woolrich, but every bit as much fun as a Gibson or Dent.

Best wishes,

Shannon Clute