Re: RARA-AVIS: A Diet of Treacle

From: Nathan Cain ( IndieCrime@gmail.com)
Date: 03 Jan 2008

I just finished A Diet of Treacle. It was an accident. I picked it up a couple of days ago to skim the first couple chapters to get a feel for it, and I ended up three quarters of the way through the book before I was done. It's certainly not a lost classic, but Block goes down easy for some reason. It's not exactly When the Sacred Ginmill closes, but it's definitely readable. On balance, I'd have to say its tone is quaint. For a sleaze book about bohemians in Greenwich Village it's remarkably prudish.There's no swearing, and it sidesteps some issues in humorous ways. For instance, there is a peripheral character, who is described as a virgin, and yet she is also described as wanton, and promiscuous. It's left up to the reader's imagination to decide exactly what she does with these men. The book's attitude toward marijuana is also remarkably grounded. Block wasn't trying for a Reefer Madness sort of vibe. There isn't much of a plot. Things don't really start to happen until the last third of the book, but the characters themselves are interesting enough that it's not really an issue. There's a lot of telling instead of showing, but I think that's just part and parcel of the rushed nature of these types of books. There's a limited amount of space to describe the characters and move things along. It doesn't really leave e lot of room for subtle characterization.