Re: RARA-AVIS: The best novel you read this year

From: Gonzalo Baeza ( gbaeza@gmail.com)
Date: 31 Dec 2007

I agree. The story was both aimless and pointless and the characters were caricatures. All that travelling across America didn't make any sense and the cliches he used for every location (Texas, the Midwest, etc.) made me wonder whether Ellis knows the U.S. at all. Some critics billed it as daring and politically incorrect but to me it seemed more like a kid's attempt to shock his parents.

BTW, I noticed you enjoyed Dust Devils. You might want to try Old Times' Sake. I bought it a few days ago and I'm enjoying it thoroughly. It's a collection of James Reasoner stories, all of them but one originally published in the Mike Shayne magazine.

-Gonzalo B. saddlebums.blogspot.com

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "Nathan Cain" <IndieCrime@...> wrote:

> Crooked Little Vein was a terrible novel. I read up to the last
> chapter and then realized I didn't give a damn how it ended and put
it
> on the shelf. Mr. Ellis ought to stick with comics.
>
> On Dec 29, 2007 4:38 PM, Gonzalo Baeza <gbaeza@...> wrote:
> >

> > Not to be repetitive, but the best novel I read this year was Fat
City
> > by Leonard Gardner. I can't recommend it enough. Other good ones
were:
> > Richard Bachman's Blaze, Cain's The Postman Always Rings Twice
(no
> > matter how many times I read it, I still find it perfect), Dan
> > Marlowe's The Name of the Game is Death (same as Postman...),
Charlie
> > Huston's Caught Stealing, James Reasoner's Death Head Crossing,
Iain
> > Levison's Since the Layoffs (obscure yet deserving of more
> > recognition). Best non fiction: Francine Prose's Reading Like a
Writer.

> > The worst: Warren Ellis' Crooked Little Vein, Joe Hill's Heart-
Shaped
> > Box (never understood the hype), Doris Lessing's The Cleft and
Don
> > DeLillo's Falling Man.
> >
> > -Gonzalo B.
> > saddlebums.blogspot.com
> >

> > --- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Zeltserman" <dz@>
wrote:

> > > My favorite crime fiction novel read during 2007 was The Dain
Curse
> > by
> > > Hammett, but my favorite new crime novel was Reasonable Doubts
by
> > > Gianrico Carofiglio. Other very good novels read: Dead Street
by the
> > > Mick, Robbie's Wife by Russell Hill (maybe the best true noir
novel
> > > I've come across in years), Cross by Ken Bruen, Cruel Poetry
by Vicki
> > > Hendricks, reprints by Hardcase: Vengeful Virgin, The Peddler,
The