Re: RARA-AVIS: The best novel you read this year

From: Gonzalo Baeza ( gbaeza@gmail.com)
Date: 30 Dec 2007

Hi,

I thought Heart Shaped Box was poorly written and the ending was so padded I could barely finish it (I had to review it for a newspaper. Otherwise, I'd have dropped it way earlier). Judas Coyne was in my view a poor sketch of a character and the whole premise was ludicrous even though I am also a fan of supernatural horror. I hear Hill's collection of short stories is good but after my disappointing experience I am more wary than ever about over-hyped works.

Speaking of short story collections, what good anthologies did you read this year? I think Richard Lange's Dead Boys was simply spectacular. I am not including James Reasoner's Old Times' Sake nor the Black Lizard Big Book of Pulps because I haven't finished either yet.

-Gonzalo B. saddlebums.blogspot.com

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Thornton" <tieresias@...> wrote:

> I agree with Gonzalo, but was unsurprised by the hype in light of
the fact that Joe Hill is Stephen King's son. His name change in order to "not trade on his father's name" was the most poorly kept secret in publishing since the identity of the "anonymous" reporter who wrote PRIMARY COLORS.

l@yahoogroups.com] On
> > Behalf Of Gonzalo Baeza
> The worst: Warren Ellis' Crooked Little Vein, Joe Hill's Heart-
Shaped
> > Box (never understood the hype),
>
> Boy, I couldn't disagree more with that one. While I've already
put forward
> the best mystery/noir/etc. novels I read last year, I thought
Hill's novel