RARA-AVIS: THE ROAD and other 2007 pleasures

From: Jack Bludis ( buildsnburns@yahoo.com)
Date: 29 Dec 2007

Ron Clinton put THE ROAD on his list of favorites for 2007. Anytime I see that title I'm inspired to comment.

My 2007 favorites included THE ROAD. I was riveted to my reading chair with the thrill of story and a style that delineated characters so so well that there was barely a need for punctuation.

I then read NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN. I was locked down all the way and including the 40-page denouement that explained the title.

THE TIN ROOF BLOWDOWN, by James Lee Burke brought an otherwise minor character to the forefront and made him the focus of character growth.

Richard Aleas (Charles Ardai) released SONGS OF INNOCENCE about a reluctant PI who does not find the beginning of his story until the last chapter of the book. It's noir in its truest sense--the PI is screwed from the beginning.

2007 may be my best reading year since I discovered THE NAKED AND THE DEAD (Mailer's only good novel in my opinion) and FROM HERE TO ETERNITY (Jones's only good book as well) while riding in the back of a a radio van in Germany.

That year was hard to beat because it included Hemingway and Faulkner as well.

Jack Bludis

http://crimespace.ning.com/profile/JackBludis http://jackbludis.com/ Recent Story at http://backalleywebzine.com/

      ____________________________________________________________________________________ Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now. http://mobile.yahoo.com/;_ylt=Ahu06i62sR8HDtDypao8Wcj9tAcJ