RARA-AVIS: Re: Boxing Non Fiction

From: Gonzalo Baeza ( gbaeza@gmail.com)
Date: 28 Dec 2007

If we're going to mention boxing short stories, then I guess I'd recommend the first story in Ethan Coen's collection, "Gates of Eden"
(I don't remember the name right now). Very funny and very noir-ish, in the vein of his gangster films.

-Gonzalo B. saddlebums.blogspot.com

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, John Stickney <stickney_jj@...> wrote:

> The Sixteenth Round: From Number 1 Contender To #45472 by
Rubin Carter (Paperback - May 1, 1991)Rubin "Hurricane" Carter
(born May 6, 1937) was an American middleweight boxer between 1961 and 1966, although he is better known for his controversial convictions (1967, 1976) for three June 1966 murders in Paterson, New Jersey, and his subsequent release from prison in 1985.
> The question of Carter's actual guilt or innocence remains a
strongly polarizing one. However, this much is certain: either the criminal justice system released a triple murderer from the punishment that two separate juries had recommended, or it imprisoned an innocent man for almost 20 years.