RARA-AVIS: Re: Professional Boxing--Real Life

From: Richard Moore ( moorich@aol.com)
Date: 26 Dec 2007

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, Jack Bludis <buildsnburns@...> wrote:

> BTW, I noticed later that Rocky Marciano--memory escapes
> me, but I think he was the only heavyweight champ to retire
> undefeated--sounded almost the same. They keep getting up.
>
> My guy never became champ.
>
> Jack Bludis

Obviously, there is no denying that many ex-fighters suffer serious impairment after their careers are over. However, I saw and heard many interviews and other television appearances (such as a boxing commentator) with Marciano following his retirement and saw no evidence of impairment, much less the sort your friend suffered.

He died in an airplane crash on his way to make a speech just after attending a dinner with STP executives. Marciano was a celebrity endorser and made television commercials for the gasoline additive.

Richard Moore