RARA-AVIS: Re: Allan Guthrie's Top 200 Noirs

From: jacquesdebierue ( jacquesdebierue@yahoo.com)
Date: 22 Dec 2007

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "Curt Purcell" <curtpurcell@...> wrote:

> --- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, Eric Chambers <nqexile@> wrote:
> >
> > but for me there are just too many 87th Precinct books. Like
> Gardner's Perry Masons, they are all likely very good, but I'm not in
> a hurry to find out. They will wait till I'm away from home with
> nothing else to read and I find them in a Library or bookshop. And
> then I know I will enjoy them. Life is too short and there are too
> many other flavors out there to try.

The A.A. Fair series is more interesting, in my opinion. And Gardner wrote great stuff for the pulps. He was real imaginative in those, and often outrageous (Ed Jenkins, for example).

> Those 87th precinct novels are like popcorn or potato chips for
> me--hard to stop with just one! Though I've not read any single one
> that I'd consider great, it's a fun series to get into for however
> many installments at a time as you feel like.

Good stuff but I am afraid to reread it... I don't have a clear idea of Hunter/McBain's career. I've read a good number of novels and, except for the excellent The Blackboard Jungle, the aftertaste is industrial. Maybe I haven't read the right ones (usual caveat)...

Best,

mrt