RARA-AVIS: Re: Allan Guthrie's Top 200 Noirs

From: Eric Chambers ( nqexile@yahoo.com.au)
Date: 22 Dec 2007

  "Patrick King" abrasax93@yahoo.com abrasax93 wrote It's the 87th Precinct and what can you possibly find
 not to like about them? They're brutally realistic,
 cleverly plotted and intelligently resolved. Add
 McBain's clever dialog and descriptive talent and
 nearly everyone of these is a winner. I've seldom been
 disappointed by any of McBain's work, but the 87th
 series is nearly as good as it gets.

 No argument Patrick, with your analysis of McBain's genius as a writer, but I have got to say that I have some 87th Precinct novels in my unread pile and they are probably going to stay that way for quite a while. I've probably read about 9 and certainly enjoyed them all. I would read a 'Matthew Hope' immediately (except I've read them all) and I have 'Alice in Jeopardy' a non Hope and non 87th Precinct book - which won't have to wait too long before it gets read - but for me there are just too many 87th Precinct books. Like Gardner's Perry Masons, they are all likely very good, but I'm not in a hurry to find out. They will wait till I'm away from home with nothing else to read and I find them in a Library or bookshop. And then I know I will enjoy them. Life is too short and there are too many other flavors out there to try.

--------------------------------- Make the switch to the world's best email. Get the new Yahoo!7 Mail now.