RARA-AVIS: Sleaze raport: Richard Geis

From: juri.nummelin@pp.inet.fi
Date: 21 Dec 2007

Richard Geis was a prolific writer of sleaze paperbacks in the fifties and sixties (and also in the seventies, perhaps), but he's been better known as a science fiction fan who published a fanzine called Psychotic for quite a long time.

I've read two sleaze books by him and the other one is actually quite good. It's called BEDROOM CITY, published by France Books in 1962. It's about a writer called Ray Krell who's doomed to write only paperback originals. He hates his suburbian neighbours and his beautiful wife and has an affair. This reminded me of Charles Bukowski and there's a sense of appealing hopefulness in the story.

The worse one is GIRLSVILLE (France Books 1963), which is a private eye novel, about a guy called Vic Kunzer. The novel reads like a bad Richard Prather, but doesn't get enough speed at any time. I've written an entry for Kunzer to be used in Thrilling Detective.

Sorry, didn't have to do more. Merry Xmas to all!

Juri