RARA-AVIS: Re: Fat City

From: Seth Harwood ( sethharw@sethharwood.com)
Date: 21 Dec 2007

I agree that Gardner's Fat City is a beautiful, wonderful book. I wonder if anyone on this list has read Denis Johnson's ANGELS, which was highly influenced by FAT CITY. I think ANGELS is a phenomenal book in its own right and Johnson one of our best living writers. His JESUS' SON is still one of my favorite books ever--not so noir (no guns) but dark as all get out.

For another great story about boxers, in Don Lee's story collection YELLOW, the title story is about as good as anything I know.

Seth sethharwood.com