Re: RARA-AVIS: Allan Guthrie's Top 200 Noirs

From: Gonzalo Baeza ( gbaeza@gmail.com)
Date: 21 Dec 2007

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "Allan Guthrie" <allan@...> wrote:
> Fat City, Leonard Gardner: about third-rate boxers in Stockton, CA.
One of
> the best novels I've ever read, regardless of genre.
>
> Al

I don't know if I'd call Fat City a noir, but boy what a beautiful novel. I read it a few months ago and like you I think it's one of the best novels I've ever read, period. It's too bad that it's the only thing Gardner ever wrote. I guess some writers like Harper Lee or John Kennedy Toole only have one book in them (although, technically, the JKT has two).

Speaking of which, earlier this year I bought Eddie Muller's The Distance purely because it had a blurb by Leonard Gardner on its cover. Until then, I had never heard about Muller (now, however, I know what an excellent book critic he is) and the Gardner endorsement was good enough for me. I haven't read the novel yet and I was wondering if anyone in this list has. If so, what did you think of it as well as Muller as a writer?

-Gonzalo saddlebums.blogspot.com