Re: RARA-AVIS: Allan Guthrie's Top 200 Noirs

From: cptpipes2000 ( cptpipes@hotmail.com)
Date: 20 Dec 2007

Allan said:
> I really want to like her, but I don't. I've tried three of her
novels, only made it to the end of one.

I try to stick to a "if you can't say anything nice.." policy on this board. Nevertheless, I think we could some fun playing "I really want to like him/her but I don't."

I say this as someone who really wanted to like a number of my favorite authors, but didn't at first. This was often due to buying a book mid-series, with James Sallis' Lew Griffin series being the best example. Connelly, Pelecanos, Mina, Estleman also would make this list. Yikes! Looking back, maybe I'm lucky just to be able to read as my critical discernment is obviously lacking.

I'll show mine first. Off the top of my head, here's alist of authors/series that I want to like, but don't just yet:

Ian Rankin Robert Crais T. Jefferson Parker McBain's The 57th Precinct Series (Candyland is the only one I've finished.) Giles Blunt Ed Dee

I'll think of a few more as soon as I hit send. I know all of these authors are terrific, but for whatever reason, I just haven't connected with them yet.

Anyone else have a similar list?

best to all, Chris