RARA-AVIS: Frank Morgan ( was: hip: hardboiled or noir?)

From: bobav1 ( rav7@COLUMBIA.EDU)
Date: 19 Dec 2007

I thought of posting something to the list when I heard of Frank Morgan's death, even though he wasn't a writer. He lived a true hardboiled life, but over the years I saw, heard, and briefly talked with him, he was simply a beautiful human being, and his music affects me deeply. He did not have a noir end - his art transcended his troubles.

But Mark's right that those who play with the facade and take on the trappings (with the hip or gangster life in any time or place) are seldom fortunate.