Re: RARA-AVIS: Sorry, more Ellroy

From: scatalogic@aol.com
Date: 19 Dec 2007

Possibly not Patrick. I know a lot of people on here really don't like where Ellroy has gone but I'm a sucker for his style of riffs and repetitions, aliteration and so on. And, as far as I'm aware it's totally original - I'd love to know if he got it from somewhere else or if others have used it, I've mentioned the British writer David Peace as someone who took a lead from it - and when it works it really is gripping and extraordinary. I think he lost the plot a little at times in 6,000, which I also think is overlong, and I wonder how long and how succesfully he can continue before going down a blind alley or up somewhere else, or if he'll revert to a more traditional style, but when it works... nothing better. Love it!
  Join my Church: www.myspace.com/thereverendspadgedooley