RARA-AVIS: Re:Dexter

From: sethharwoodpodcast ( sethharw@sethharwood.com)
Date: 18 Dec 2007

Ha!! I HATE the intro at the beginning and always find myslef fast forwarding through it as fast as I can. But it really makes breakfast ham look disgusting, doesn't it? Have to admit, though, I do kind of love the dorky smile at the end and the funny bell noise.

Not to spoil anything, but I think the series handles the events of the first book (to the extent that they're the same story) way way better than the book did. I found the ending of the first season much more satisfying and complete than that of the book. The end of book 1 was really rushed, I thought, and left at least one MAJOR thread completely wide open. I'd write about it here, but I don't want to spoil anything.

Suffice it to say that the stronger characters and their interconnectedness make a huge difference in the series. No offense to Lindsay, who came up with a great idea. But I'm not sure why he wouldn't take it further in his books and leave the first person. This, to me, seems his critical mistake (in addition to catastrophic and rushed endings).

I also thought the second season of Dexter (totally different story than the second book) was dynamite and much stronger than the second book. Comparing the books' Doakes and the character on the show is like 2D vs. 3D.

Seth