RARA-AVIS: My Ellroy boredom

From: Juri Nummelin ( juri.nummelin@pp.inet.fi)
Date: 12 Dec 2007

I got bored with BLOOD MOON, which was quite recently translated for the first time. It was tedious and farfetched and the main guy (I even forget his name) didn't come out alive in the book. His obsessions seemed ridiculous. I thought CLANDESTINE was better (it was also translated, just before BLOOD MOON; the Finnish publisher is working its way backwards), but even in that there were things that I found boring: too long scenes, too worked out explanations, just too much of obsessions.

But I really loved the LA quartet, especially THE BIG NOWHERE. (Haven't as yet tried THE COLD SIX THOUSAND. A friend of mine read it and liked it a great deal, thouhg.)

Juri