Re: RARA-AVIS: Kiss Me Deadly

From: Mark R. Harris ( brokerharris@gmail.com)
Date: 11 Dec 2007

Patrick King wrote:

> William, there is no point to any type of art if it
> poses nothing for individuals who encounter it to
> consider about their own lives.

And William Ahearn replied:

> Look, Patrick, I really don't have time to be lectured
> especially since I don't agree or wish to pursue
> something where I find no value.

Patrick's statement seems to me so unexceptional and basic that I find myself flummoxed as to how someone with an interest in art could disagree with it (or find it pedantic). Turning the statement into a question, what *would* be the point of art, then, if it did not pose anything for individuals who encounter it to consider about their own lives? Is there a potentially good answer to that question? I'm having a hard time imagining one. Even the most hermetic and formalistic art gives us aesthetic issues to consider in relation to our personal mechanisms of response and assignments of value, which are part of our lives. I don't see how art could fail to do this even if it tried.

Mark