RARA-AVIS: Re: BOSTON GLOBE review essay on THE BIG BOOK OF PULPS

From: jacquesdebierue ( jacquesdebierue@yahoo.com)
Date: 11 Dec 2007

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, Jack Bludis <buildsnburns@...> wrote:

> Ironically, both TV and the internet are working at
> bringing about the demise of paperback novels.

But neither TV nor the Internet are new... how are they bringing about the demise of paperback novels?

> I also agree with him that emotion was pretty much empty in
> the pulps, except for the emotions of anger and revenge,
> even revenge for the sake of concluding that order is
> restored in the end.

This may be true of the crime pulps, but in the fantasy, weird tales and science-fiction pulps there is plenty of emotion not related to anger and revenge. At the very least you have to add fear, vulnerability, wonderment and even joy. The work of guys like Leiber and Sturgeon, for example, is full of emotion. That is why it's so disturbing and why so much of it still appeals. And restoring order is not the rule...

Best,

mrt