RARA-AVIS: BOSTON GLOBE review essay on THE BIG BOOK OF PULPS

From: Jack Bludis ( buildsnburns@yahoo.com)
Date: 11 Dec 2007

I just took a look at this and find that in some bits and pieces I disagree, but the general overall comment is interesting--and I do agree with much if not most of it.

For those who missed it in earlier posts, the url:

http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/ideas/articles/2007/12/09/pulp_nation/?page=3

I googled to get there.

Thanks for calling it to my attention.

I emailed the writer and invited him to join us at least for the the discussion of his article, which I thought was a pretty good one.

I agree with him in this:
"The paper shortages incurred by the Second World War put a major dent in pulp production. But the final culprit was the post-war economic boom. Americans no longer needed 10-cent distractions. Increasingly, they turned to new forms: comic books, paperback novels, or television."
----- Ironically, both TV and the internet are working at bringing abgout the demise of paperback novels.

I also agree with him that emotion was pretty much empty in the pulps, except for the emotions of anger and revenge, even revenge for the sake of concluding that order is restored in the end.

Jack Bludis

      ____________________________________________________________________________________ Never miss a thing. Make Yahoo your home page. http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs