RARA-AVIS: Re: BOSTON GLOBE review essay on THE BIG BOOK OF PULPS

From: jacquesdebierue ( jacquesdebierue@yahoo.com)
Date: 10 Dec 2007

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "Nathan Cain" <IndieCrime@...> wrote:

Did I miss that?) Every event gets worked into some sort of
> narrative. People have been telling stories since they've been able to
> do so. In journalism, there's a term called "Framing a story." In
> short, it's deciding what the narrative arc is going to be.

Agreed. Even photographers, who work with a supposedly static medium, know that you need to have a story... And, as you say, a journalistic piece always needs to tell a story. If the news is already a story, all the better! And if it isn't, you make it into one, or "frame it".

Best,

mrt