Re: RARA-AVIS: KISS ME DEADLY (May the Force Be With You)

From: William Ahearn ( williamahearn@yahoo.com)
Date: 09 Dec 2007

--- Kevin Burton Smith
< kvnsmith@thrillingdetective.com> wrote:

> Hmmm... it does have a darkness about it, and
> certainly uses many of
> the common stylistic touches of the day that have
> since become
> associated almost exclusively with film noir, but
> I'm not sure
> CASABLANCA qualifies as noir in the sense most
> people here understand
> the term. I love the film myself, but I don't think
> of it as noir.
>
> What does the Brain Trust say?

Casablanca as film noir? No way. It's a really good film because it triumphs over the challenges of the plot and characters and subtle propaganda intentions. But Rick is far more alive at the end of the film than he is at the beginning. It's far too romantic to be noir.

William

Essays and Ramblings
<http://www.williamahearn.com>

      ____________________________________________________________________________________ Never miss a thing. Make Yahoo your home page. http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs