Re: RARA-AVIS: Kiss Me Deadly

From: Robert Elkin ( rictusaporia@yahoo.com)
Date: 08 Dec 2007

For those interested, Ian Cameron's BOOK OF FILM NOIR also has a few intelligent & sophisticated critical essays on Kiss Me, Deadly; Chinatown; Out of the Past; & others. Wish I still owned it.

----- Original Message ---- From: Mark R. Harris < brokerharris@gmail.com> To: rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com Sent: Friday, December 7, 2007 9:44:11 PM Subject: RARA-AVIS: Kiss Me Deadly

            Patrick King wrote:

> Sure, OUT OF THE PAST, THE POSTMAN ALWAYS RINGS TWICE,

> DOUBLE INDEMNITY, CASABLANCA, THE MALTESE FALCON are

> better movies than KISS ME DEADLY, still not many

> modern noir films come close to capturing KISS ME

> DEADLY's essential persepctive even though their

> stories may be better and their casts more

> accomplished.

Debates over quality are never satisfactorily resolved, and those are

all fine films. Nonetheless, I will say that to my taste, which runs

to modernist complexity more than to classicism, Kiss Me Deadly is the

most brilliant film in the list (with Out of the Past running it very,

very close). There has been much excellent writing on the film that

spells those modernist qualities out, but one could not do better as a

starting point than Jack Shadoian's essay in Dreams and Dead

Ends. "Clumsy" is one of the last words I would use; rather it seems

to me that Robert Aldrich and A.I. Bezzerides are supremely confident

in carrying out their artistic aims, and this results in a panache

that is extraordinary. The ballsiness of the credits running backward,

which Patrick rightly notes, announces to the audience that this is

not going to be like any other film they have seen, and what of it?

Little wonder that some folks have compared Kiss Me Deadly to Citizen

Kane; a Wellesian bravura is in the film's DNA.

Best,

Mark

      ____________________________________________________________________________________ Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now. http://mobile.yahoo.com/;_ylt=Ahu06i62sR8HDtDypao8Wcj9tAcJ