RARA-AVIS: Re: Dexter

From: Craig Larson ( CLarson@nhcc.edu)
Date: 07 Dec 2007

I've been watching _Dexter_, the Showtime series, and I've read all 3 of the Dexter novels and I'd have to agree with your points that the series has developed these characters to a degree far greater than in the books. I'd also agree that the TV series is better than the books, particularly this second series, which has broken considerably with the chronology set out by Jeff Lindsay. The books are a lot more jokey, if that's the word, with snarky humor and everything told from Dexter's perspective. In the series, we get to see the characters from more angles and they're much more three-dimensional. I'm not even sure it would be possible to adapt the second and third books for television, the way the first season revolved around the first book, especially now with the break in chronology. The writers of the series have taken what was a neat idea of Lindsay's part and really run with it, take it in a much more believable direction. The second season, with its _No Way Out_-plotline, has been one of the more riveting and memorable seasons of televison I can remember. I think you're right to call it a natural heir to the high level drama of _The Sopranos_.

Craig Larson Maple Grove, MN