Re: RARA-AVIS: A Whiff of Sulphur -- Eureka!

From: kevinburtonsmith ( kvnsmith@thrillingdetective.com)
Date: 07 Dec 2007

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, Patrick King <abrasax93@...> wrote:

> But the film, KISS ME DEADLY, is an essential "noir"
> example, employing, in many cases inventing, essential
> aspects of the style.

Nope, not at all. By 1955, when KISS ME DEADLY came out, the conventions of noir had more or less already been codified. I can't think of any "essential aspects of the style" that KISS ME DEADLY invented.

Care to give us an example? Any example?

And personally, I'm not even sure KISS ME DEADLY qualifies as essential noir, or even a particularly effective example of the genre. To me, it seems dated and clumsy in a way much older -- and better -- film noirs don't. I always think of it more as a Cold War paranoia film more than a crime film.

Kevin

Kevin