Re: RARA-AVIS: Recent read: American Tabloid (Spoiler)

From: DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net
Date: 05 Dec 2007

I had the opposite reaction to American Tabloid. It led me to swear off Ellroy, of whom I had once been a huge fan, turning all of my friends on to him. In my mind Ellroy's writing became schtick in this book, a caricature of his style. And that caricature led me to believe for the first time that Ellroy sets his books in the past so he can have an excuse for spouting racist, misogynist and homophobic speech and say
"it's not me, it was the times"; for the first time, I felt it was him, as he spread the views too uniformly among characters, with little to no variation of viewpoint.

Also, I was far, far more satisfied with DeLillo's Libra, as far as historicl novels about the Kennedy assassination go.

Mark