RARA-AVIS: Re: Two Reviews

From: Richard Moore ( moorich@aol.com)
Date: 04 Dec 2007

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, DJ-Anonyme@... wrote:

> Mario wrote:
>
> "I was glad to see Sandra Scoppettone included in this volume. I've
been
> a fan of hers for years. She has a direct voice and a seeminly innate
> hardboiledness -- I am not talking about craft here, but about a
core."

> I've only ever read her Jack Early books (which were quite good).
Which
> under her own name do you recommend?
>
> Mark

My favorite is SOME UNKNOWN PERSON (Putnam 1977), her first adult novel. It is a very ambitious novel based in part on the true story of Starr Faithful, which also served as the inspiration for John O'Hara's second novel BUTTERFIELD 8. From what Sandra has said, it also has a fair amount of inspiration from her own family. I am a great admirer of her other novels but think this early one had a rare depth of character and reader involvement.

Richard Moore