RARA-AVIS: "What is noir fiction?" Interview

From: Brian Thornton ( tieresias@worldnet.att.net)
Date: 03 Dec 2007

Author Jeri Westerson, whose first novel VEIL OF LIES comes out early next near under St. Martin's aegis, interviewed me shortly after we ran in to each other at Bouchercon in Alaska. Jeri has been marketing her novel as "Medieval noir," and she and I got into a long discussion of what is and is not "noir" fiction (from the description I've seen of her work, I don't think it IS "noir"). The question of what constitutes "noir" and how it differs from "hard-boiled" making up the majority of our discussion, I thought that some of the rare birds on this list might find the interview of interest. You can find it here:

http://jeriwesterson.typepad.com/my_weblog/2007/11/interview-with.html

All the Best-

Brian