Re: RARA-AVIS: Burroughs

From: Richard Moore ( moorich@aol.com)
Date: 28 Nov 2007

I would agree on THE MUCKER duo. Another candidate would be THE GIRL FROM HOLLYWOOD, a 1923 novel that was an ERB attempt at realism featuring drugs and various other aspects that some critics found a bit gruesome. I can't be definitive because while I picked up a first edition copy some years ago, I've never read it. My comments are based on reviews. If Burroughs had chosen one of the alternate titles--THE DOPE FIEND--I probably would have read it by now.

Richard Moore

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Thornton" <tieresias@...> wrote:

> Both THE MUCKER and THE RETURN OF THE MUCKER were unquestionably
hard-boiled. I read nearly everything the guy wrote (most of it several times) back when I was growing up, and several other titles come to mind, mostly from his historical romances: especially THE OUTLAW OF TORN (Medieval and hard-boiled) and THE OAKDALE AFFAIR.

> For noir, I offer the one I consider Burroughs' largely forgotten
masterpiece: I AM A BARBARIAN, which is both hilarious and poignant.

> Brian

Burroughs' novel THE MUCKER and its sequel are pretty hardboiled.