Re: RARA-AVIS: Still on Deadly Honeymoon

From: Ed Lynskey ( e_lynskey@yahoo.com)
Date: 28 Nov 2007

--- Juri Nummelin < juri.nummelin@pp.inet.fi> wrote:

> On the translation of THE DEADLY HONEYMOON: I'm sure it's not
> hard to translate, but the Finnish translation from the early
> seventies can be 1. abridged, 2. abridged randomly, leaving >
huge gaps between story points, 3. translated via another
> language (perhaps Swedish), which always permeates the
> confusion between the two languages, and 4. translated by
> someone who has no knack for hardboiled crime fiction. And
> most certainly it was translated in a hurry and for only a
> very small pay.

Thanks for your intriguing insights into the translation process, Juri. It's always fascinated me how translations are done.

Ed

      ____________________________________________________________________________________ Be a better pen pal. Text or chat with friends inside Yahoo! Mail. See how. http://overview.mail.yahoo.com/