RARA-AVIS: Allow me to introduce myself

From: Clair Dickson ( socalledauthor@yahoo.com)
Date: 26 Nov 2007

Been lurking a while, probably will lurk more than post as I'm not as well-read as most of the posters. I have a good excuse though-- I'm young.

I love Raymond Chandler and he's the main reason I got into hardboiled and/or crime noir writing. In fact, I use "The Big Sleep" and "Lady in the Lake" in classes I teach. I'm an alternative/adult high school teacher of English and History, and have been since I finally got Eastern Michigan U. to release it's hold on my wallet and let me graduate.

As a lurker and fan of hardboiled crime noir, I'm finding my membership in this group to be exceptionally educational. I only wish I had more time to spend reading even just some of the books and authors recommended and discussed. Since I like to think I write something akin to hardboiled crime noir, I think anything I learn can only improve my writing.

I'm a big fan of hardboiled chicks, but find so few of them in writing. I'm still on my quest to find a modern female version of Phillip Marlowe (more or less, as there really is only one Phillip Marlowe.) I haven't found this leading dame, yet, but I have written a number of stories with my own female lead. She's Bo Fexler-- a sexy, smart, modern private eye with cell phone, internet and music by Garbage. I'll put a shameless plug for my site www.bofexler.blogspot.com and encourage any interested readers that way. I have links to most of Bo's thirty-some published stories.

That's me in a nut shell. A large nut shell, since I'm not real good at brevity.

Signed-- Clair Dickson