Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Hammett and Hemingway

From: Patrick King ( abrasax93@yahoo.com)
Date: 26 Nov 2007

I'm not saying Hemingway invented Spain, but his version of the Spanish Civil War in FOR WHOM THE BELL TOLLS bears little historical reference technologically or chronologically to the events in Spain 1936-1939. They bear more on his own World War I experiences and the technology of that much earlier era. The Spanish Civil War was a prelude to WWII. What grass roots movement there was was neither as significant nor as primitive as Hemingway told it in that book.

Patrick King

      ____________________________________________________________________________________ Be a better sports nut! Let your teams follow you with Yahoo Mobile. Try it now. http://mobile.yahoo.com/sports;_ylt=At9_qDKvtAbMuh1G1SQtBI7ntAcJ