Re: RARA-AVIS: Deadly Beloved

From: Nathan Cain ( IndieCrime@gmail.com)
Date: 26 Nov 2007

I stand corrected on the government cheese front. I don't think a lot of that goes on in any of the places I've lived recently. In my experience handing out food is generally done by private entities. When I was in North Carolina (up until about six months ago) I volunteered at a food bank, and Georgia, where I've lived on and off since 2000, doesn't, as far as I know, do anything like that. I think reading the afterword before I started the book proper may have tainted my thinking. Collins references Spillane, and Mike Hammer's relationship with Velda as being an inspiration for the Ms. Tree character, so I just assumed it was mid-20th century.