RARA-AVIS: Re: Hammett and Hemingway

From: jacquesdebierue ( jacquesdebierue@yahoo.com)
Date: 26 Nov 2007

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, Jack Bludis <buildsnburns@...> wrote:

> Another piece that I think is right: Hemingway was a
> reporter in Spain during the civil war. Right? Wrong? Shall
> we vote? Can anyone verify?

He was. And he had lots of experience in Spain and a deep understanding of the culture. And he liked Spain the way it was (and is), so nothing he wrote, good or bad, feels falsified or self-serving, even today. He may have been a romantic, but he had great intelligence and lucidity as well. Whether some of his novels succeed (I am thinking specifically of For Whom the Bell Tolls) or endure is a different matter. But he didn't make up a Spain out of whole cloth, far from it.

Best,

mrt