RARA-AVIS: Re: 361

From: jacquesdebierue ( jacquesdebierue@yahoo.com)
Date: 24 Nov 2007

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "Stephen Burridge"
<stephen.burridge@...> wrote:

> Lots of hardcover copies of "Nobody Runs Forever" have been on
> "bargain" shelves in Ottawa and Montreal recently. I got one for
> $4.99.
>
> 3 or 4 years ago when I was trying to get copies of all the Parkers, I
> ended up buying most of them as used paperbacks. My preference would
> have been to get them new. Copies of "Butcher's Moon" were so
> expensive that I didn't buy one at all.

You know, it's possible that even though _we_ think the Parker series is classic, it's far less of a hit with the buyers at large.

Does anybody know why hardcovers get remaindered so quickly in the US? From what I see, great books and bad books get remaindered just as often and just as quickly. It's as if a new book had an intrinsically short shelf life... I am sure the booksellers among us know the answer.

Best,

mrt