RARA-AVIS: Re: Magazines collected

From: jacquesdebierue ( jacquesdebierue@yahoo.com)
Date: 20 Nov 2007

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, Terry Sanford <mbtbone@...> wrote:

> Then I collect most other pulps by the author's
> stories, thanks to Cook & Miller's Mystery, Detective
> and Espionage Fiction, a great pulp index. The
> hard-boiled authors I collect are Daly, Hammett,
> Chandler, Norbert Davis, Frederick Nebel, H. McCoy, J.
> Allen Dunn, Judson Philips, Paul Cain, Wm. McGivern,
> Woolrich and many more.

I am a fan of all these guys, especially Norbert Davis.

> Did I join too late or was Robert Leslie Bellem's Dan
> Turner, Hollywood Detective, not mentioned in the
> hard-boiled parody list? Although these were pulps
> stories, there are a half-dozen or more book
> collections and a movie done in the last 10-15 years

His parodies have been mentioned often... he has fans here. I am one of them. I especially like his stories written for the spicy pulps. They are waaaay over the top, great stuff. I suspect a modern reader can get more enjoyment out of them than the original audience. Some of the dialogue has to be read to be disbelieved!

Best,

mrt