Re: RARA-AVIS: The Thin Man and Paul Temple

From: jacquesdebierue ( jacquesdebierue@yahoo.com)
Date: 17 Nov 2007

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, DJ-Anonyme@... wrote:

> I don't know about in film, but the gathering of the suspects was a
> standard feature of the manor house/parlor room mysteries by Agatha
> Christie and others. And Hammett himself had used it earlier in the
> Maltese Falcon.

I'm not sure if it comes from "manor house" mysteries with a PI or from "inspector and constable" mysteries. My impression --as a reader; I have not researched it-- is that the Gathering is a British invention, later imported into American mysteries. Though dated, it is an effective device. It still works fine in some of Christie's best novels. There probably isn't a better device to end and resolve Puzzle
& Clew mysteries.

Best,

mrt