Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: The "Average" Reader, and What Should Be Done to Them

From: DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net
Date: 16 Nov 2007

MEH wrote:

"Believe me, I am not out to criticize you personally!"

Don't worry, I didn't take it that way at all. And you're right, I haven't read the forums you mention. However, I think I am familiar with the fanboy attitude you're talking about, though more in regard to comic books and record collecting (I, myself, have been known to be inordinately proud of finding records/CDs I know are bad and getting enjoyment out of them) than crime novels. In fact, on the surface your description would seem to apply to Tarantino and his valorization of some pretty dodgy movies. While he seems to value all films equally, or find something to like in every movie, if you've ever heard him ramble on about bad movies, you know he certainly engages them critically in rationalizing his perverse taste, or lack of taste.

Do these REH and ERB fans really never rank the works, really never give reasons why the lesser works are good? That's still critical engagement, even if it's based on suspect standards.

Mark