Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: The "Average" Reader, and What Should Be Done to Them

From: mhall@berkeley.edu
Date: 16 Nov 2007

I wrote:
>> "And, when you are dealing with people who like 99% or better in a given
>> genre, you are not dealing with critical readers."
>
> Even if completists find value in every word ever scribbled by a
> preferred scribe (and is that really any different from academics who
> want to pore over a revered author's papers, everything from early
> drafts to shopping lists?), I refuse to believe they find them all of
> equal value.

Go check out some of the ERB and REH lists...

And I'm also refering to pastiches here too, which ERB and REH seem to have drawn like flies to ... At least in the case of ERB his estate squashed most of them, so at least then you had to have "original" creations (however unoriginal). In REH's case, the rights holders for awhile didn't care so long as they got $$$. Many wallow in this stuff and proclaim its merits.

>For instance, I know a lot of fans (myself included) who
> spend a lot of time ranking the works of favorite artists. They may
> extend the auteur theory to its breaking point by finding great value in
> an author's least works (or even perversely liking the worst best
> because they are so odd and idiosyncratic), but the search for value is
> due to the way the best works moved them, and the value found is in how
> the lesser works illuminate the best and/or how the individul works
> function within the metanovel of the author's entire catalog.

Nothing wrong here, but really go check some of these boards and lists out. One could wish many would take your attitude.

> For example, I doubt anyone would claim Block's pseudonymous sleaze
> novels are his best work, but many of us are interested in reading them.
> Part of that comes from the simple enjoyment of the story told. I very
> much enjoyed Lucky at Cards as a good read. That does not, however,
> mean that I thought it was anywhere near as good as, say, his Girl with
> the Long Green Heart or Eight Million Ways to Die.

Beleive me, I am not out to criticize you personally!

Best, MEH (another Mark)