RARA-AVIS: Re: No off-topic politics here, please! [Re: Chandler's The Lady in

From: JIM DOHERTY ( jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com)
Date: 15 Nov 2007

Re Patrick's comment below:

"Come on! Whether you like the present administration or not, Terry's anology to Jim's posted attitude is perfectly valid. The President has publicly stated a very similar position to the one Jim takes. Surely we're allowed to allude to reality occasionally in our search for the ultimate hardboiled noir."

Y'all seem to have a difficult time discerning when a person has his tongue planted firmly in his cheek for a given post.

I thought my post was sufficiently "over-the-top" that no one would take it that seriously, but it suddenly devolved into a series of comments about the cirrent Administration. Where did I even mention politics?

Yes, I'm opinionated. And, yes I'm forceful about stating and defending my opinions. But, believe it or not, I have, on occasion, had my mind changed by a well-made, logically contructed argument. It hasn't, I grant you, happened often, but it has happened.

Idon't think I'm offensive about stating my views. I certainly don't intend to be. But apparently, I have a way of hitting hot buttons for several members of this list. Probably for more that just "several," and only a few are willing to speak up.

My presence seems to threaten the collegiality that has always marked this list, so perhaps it would be best if I dropped off.

This is not a case of "If you can't take honest disagreement, I'll go find a list that can."

This is a case of, "I seem to be a flashpoint for unpleasant controversy, and I don't want to be the reason this list devolves into constant flaming."

I'm truly sorry for any bad feeling I've caused. I'm truly sorry that what was meant humorously wasn't apparent.

I think you all know how much I've enjoyed being part of Rara-Avis, and I thank you all for the time I've been able to be a part of it.

JIM DOHERTY

      ____________________________________________________________________________________ Be a better pen pal. Text or chat with friends inside Yahoo! Mail. See how. http://overview.mail.yahoo.com/