RARA-AVIS: Before the Devil Knoiws You're Dead (was Re: No Country for Old Men [

From: jacquesdebierue ( jacquesdebierue@yahoo.com)
Date: 15 Nov 2007

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, DJ-Anonyme@... wrote:

> TL wrote:
>
> "Filmmakers have been messing with story telling structure for a very
> long time."
>
> One word: Rashomon.

And another couple of words: Eisenstein, Vertov.

> And thanks to those who recommended Before the Devil Knows You're Dead
> (which has its own time shifting). Wow!

I'm very eager to see this with my kids, who are both hardboiled and noir fans and had already gotten word...

And I would like to thank the poster who warned about Don Siegel's
_The Lineup_ on Turner. I watched that and, before, a minor but quite interesting 1958 film, _Stakeout on Dope Street_. Nice introductions by Ellroy. The Lineup is an outstanding film, classic Siegel, a masterfully cold narration of hot events. Fantastic. I shudder to think of what Pauline Kael thought of Siegel!

Best,

mrt