Re: RARA-AVIS: Chandler vs. Altman

From: funkmasterj@runbox.com
Date: 13 Nov 2007

> Pauline Kael didn't
> care about Robert Altman's vision; she cared whether she liked the
> particular movie. That's a serious flaw in a critic."

Why? The vision matters to Altman, but I watch movies to be entertained. What we the audience see in writing or movies doesn't need to be what the creators of those works saw in them. They don't need to care either - there's a big different between academic interpretation and criticism of entertainment value. I remember the scene in "Back to School" with Rodney Dangerfield where Rodney gets Kurt Vonnegut to write a paper on the meaning of Kurt Vonnegut's writing. The professor comes back and says, "You've completely missed the meaning!"

Jordan

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: