Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Chandler on Film (was Chandler's The Lady in the Lake)

From: Robert Elkin ( rictusaporia@yahoo.com)
Date: 09 Nov 2007

Aren't there sites with codes you can type into your DVD player to make them all-region? Seems to me I had to do that some time ago to watch a film I'd gotten as a present.

----- Original Message ---- From: mburch5717 < mburch5717@AOL.com> To: rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com Sent: Friday, November 9, 2007 10:51:19 PM Subject: RARA-AVIS: Re: Chandler on Film (was Chandler's The Lady in the Lake)

            I couldn't agree more with what Terrill says about the 1975 film

version of 'Farewell My Lovely' with Mitchum. It's terrific and it's

one of Mitchum's best performances from his later years and it also

has Mitchum's contemporary the great John Ireland in it and Harry

Dean Stanton and, well, you'll just have to see it for yourself.

The very good news is you can get the DVD from Amazon.com UK for

about $12 not including shipping.

The only downside is you have to have an 'all region' dvd player to

see it. But buying an all region player is definitely worth it (you

can get one for not much money) because the Brits have put a lot of

our classic film noirs on dvd that aren't available for sale in the

US like 'The Blue Dahlia' and 'The Glass Key'.